Full Transcript is Below:
– I’m NFM TV’s Greg Sher. NFM has officially launched its Influencer Division led by co-creator and TikTok star, Scott Betley. Scott was recently elevated to vice president of the new division, and he’s our top producer for the month of January. What a way to kick off the new year with this internet sensation, TikTok sensation, someone I’ve worked with now for about eight months, talk to him every day, just delighted to introduce him to the NFM community and beyond. Scott, thanks for being with us and agreeing to be our top producer for the month of January.
– Thank you, Greg. I appreciate it.
– This is so exciting, an Influencer Division. How stoked are you?
– I’m so excited. It’s unchartered territory, and I’m excited to see where it goes.
– You are very well known. You are the foremost, number one guy on TikTok when it comes to mortgages. You’ve got, as we’re seeing here, close to 720,000 followers. What’s it like to be a creator sensation?
– It’s an emotional rollercoaster. You know, there’s a lot of pressure associated with it and you know, there’s a lot of work that goes into it behind the scenes, and, you know, it’s just like anything else. We’re only human and you question things and you, you know, go through ruts. It’s definitely a lot of work. That’s for sure.
– Well, you got into the business in 2013, but you just started to turn on the influencer bulb in late 2019. What made you take a shot?
– So it was really Gary Vaynerchuk. I’ve been following him for eight or nine years now, and he was raving about the organic reach on TikTok. And I jumped on and tried it out. I think it was like my 15th or 20th video that really popped off. And it got like three or 400,000 views overnight. And I was like, wow, this is legitimate and leads were pouring in. And that was kind of where it all started.
– And look at you since then. You were featured on Housing Wire. You were included in a big article recently in Inman’s magazine. You were personally invited down to a mastermind of the best influencers in the real estate space by the number one real estate coach in the world, Tom Ferry. Here’s an awesome picture of that. December, 2019, it’s a thought and two years later, you’re in front of those audiences. How, I mean, are you pinching yourself?
– It’s unbelievable. Yeah. I still find it extremely surreal. It just is a testament though to the power of social media, and just how underestimated it truly is, but yeah, it’s completely changed the course of my business.
– You’ll approach a hundred million in personal production. So congratulations on all that. I’m ready to jump into some of your videos and talk about my favorites, your favorites, and what it takes for people to go viral. Are you ready?
– Let’s do it.
– All right, Scott, so this is my personal favorite “ThatMortgageGuy” video. Let’s watch this and talk about it.
– 5.3 Million views. Why? What is it about this video that made it go off the chains and off the rails like that?
– Honestly, I don’t know. You know, at the time it was a trending sound and there still isn’t a ton of videos made to the sound, so it wasn’t like an uber viral sound, I guess you could say, but yeah, just caught steam. I actually flipped this trend, I think with like three or four other videos. And this trend was responsible for, I think 150 to 200,000 of my followers.
– You have a favorite of your own that you told me about, got over 4 million views, 500,000 likes, and 118,000 unique shares. That’s people sharing it all along their network. That helps it go viral as well. Let’s take a look at that one. ♪ Man don’t play with me man. ♪ ♪ Now for real, don’t play like that. ♪ ♪ Are you serious? ♪ ♪ How you know? ♪ ♪ Put that on everything. ♪ ♪ Damn. Ima call you back. ♪ ♪ Ima call you back. ♪
– 4 Million views, 500,000 likes, 118,000 shares. Now, occasionally, you shake your rump, which is interesting. You know, this doesn’t go viral. I don’t know if there’s a correlation, you know, it doesn’t get 5 million views, but this particular video got over 30,000 views. Where’d you get those moves?
– In my defense it’s a trend, okay? So if you, if you click on the little sound in the bottom right hand corner, there’s like thousands and thousands of people that have made videos to that sound. And it’s just basically like trends, and I’ll choose different trends that are easier like that, you know, for the dance trends, ’cause I’m no dancer by any means, but I can shake my butt that’s for sure.
– So let’s get into trends, let’s get into what it takes to go viral. Everybody sees what you’re doing. Can anybody do this?
– Yeah, for me, I would say, you know, start with TikTok and Instagram reels. The great part about is you can repurpose your content on those platforms for Pinterest stories or for YouTube shorts. The world of content generation is headed towards short form content, which has really just started to take off over the last two to four years. You know, it’s kind of, everything’s going in that direction. So you don’t have to have like fancy equipment, but it’s pretty raw, which people on the platform like that.
– You are dedicated to bringing other people up and developing the next stars. Talk about your excitement and anyone that wants to join your momentum, what they’ll get as part of the influencer division.
– Yeah, I mean, we have a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. I’m developing an ebook right now, which has all of the strategy that I’ve kind of just built through trial and error over the last two years of determining what works and what doesn’t. And you know, we have a lot of masterminds going on behind the scenes with the team, bouncing ideas off of one another. And I know we have a couple people on the team who are gaining some momentum, and it’s going extremely well. So I’m excited to see where that all goes.
– And it’s not just for originators, you have proven through this evolution of trial and error that you can also take a real estate agent that’s committed and you can help them pop off and go viral.
– Yeah. I mean, I’ve had some partners over the last couple of weeks that have taken it seriously that I’m doing the same thing too, as well and sending them the trends and giving them ideas. And you know, I think one of my partners had four or five videos last week that had between 20,000 and 70,000 views on his 10th to 15th video.
– So what are your goals? What do you hope to accomplish here in the next year or two?
– I love to see my production increase, you know, I’d love to see it go up to 150 between the influencer channel and my personal business. But outside of that, I’m excited to grow a team and kind of leverage what we’ve done on social media to just dominate socials and really bring, build a massive brand online.
– What has NFM meant for you?
– They have meant everything. At first I was doing it all by myself and was surrounded by people that really didn’t understand it. And now I feel like I’m at home and I have a team of executives around me that are just phenomenal and the best at what they do. And I’m so thankful, because I wouldn’t be where I am today just without you guys.
– Well, we feel the same way. And you are now a vice president, co-creator of the influencer division of NFM Lending and our top producer for the month of January 2022. Scott Betley, “ThatMortgageGuy” on TikTok is his handle. Check him out on all of his social verticals. We have links up right now for you to click away and figure out how to follow him. We really appreciate your time and look forward to building this with you in the future.
– Likewise, Greg. Thank you.
– Hope you’ve enjoyed this. I know I have. I’m Greg Sher. We’ll see you again next time.