Full Transcript is Below:
– Welcome in to NFM TV. My name is Megan Cascio, I’m your host. And we’re here with one of our newest series, “I am NFM”, and I have Greg Sher here. He’s been with the company for over 20 years and he actually created NFM TV, it’s been so successful. So Greg, how’d you get started?
– Yeah, I got to NFM in 1998.
– Believe it or not. The company was in business a year and a half, two years, something like that and stayed here for three or four years and opened up my own company and then came back to NFM 11 years ago. And, a little over 11 years ago and it’s been unbelievable. So I know this company pretty well. I have a lot of faith in it, obviously.
– Absolutely and here you are and, from what I understand, you grew up in a broadcasting family, so.
– I did.
– How’d you get the idea for NFM TV? Was it just growing up?
– Well, I mean, it all kind of plays into the same theme, so. I tell some people this, you know, I like to name drop occasionally. So, my father was a broadcaster in Baltimore for 37 years and his claim to fame is that he and Oprah Winfrey had a talk show together called “People Are Talking”.
– And hear the incredible story of a seven-year-old juvenile delinquent whose life is turned around by the love of a teacher.
– Join us on channel 13’s “People Are Talking “, all week long at nine o’clock.
– So from 1975 to 1980, they had a talk show together and we’re looking at a picture right now of me and Oprah at my bar mitzvah when I was 13, of course.
– [Megan] Oh my gosh.
– Can you believe that? Look at that picture. That’s unbelievable.
– That’s insane.
– She’s amazing, by the way.
– Oh, of course.
– And remains good friends with my dad, but that’s kinda how the NFM TV thing came about because I’ve got a broadcasting background. I grew up in it and then I became a broadcaster myself on WBAL, which is the Orioles and Ravens flagship station. You know, about six, seven years ago, when I started seeing the business move more towards video, I thought to myself we should be on the forefront of this. We should create our own, our own brand, our own station. And that’s, that kind of was the beginning of NFM TV. And, at first, when I presented it to Dave and Jan, you know they, both their eyebrows went up a little bit because it had never been done before.
– You know, and it costs money to build a studio like this and it’s a big undertaking, right? And then for them to trust me to help them come up with ideas, there’s a lot to it, so. They took the leap of faith and here we are right now and apparently you’re kicking me off the airways. So I mean, you know. You’re new too.
– I am new, yes.
– So you joined the business development recruiting department, so.
– And video’s of passion of yours, so somehow we’ll tie this all together, but that’s the story.
– Perfect, I mean we have so many great segments so far here with NFM TV and, I mean, the biggest thing that I think kinda drew me here immediately was watching one of the NFM Salutes. So tell me a little bit more about those segments.
– I’m glad you asked. So the NFM Salute, you know, people are like, did you serve? And I’m like, “No, I didn’t serve, but I’m in awe of those who have.” I don’t know what it is. In fact, I don’t have many family members, any that I can think of, that served in the military, but I just know and appreciate the magnitude of the sacrifices that people make and it really hits me in the deepest part of my soul. So let’s marry the TV and the video with how much we love our veterans and let’s let’s put something together and let’s donate money, let’s give back, let’s recognize those who’ve made the ultimate sacrifice. And the thing about NFM is the company has been sending troops boxes overseas for like a dozen years. So, the groundwork was already laid, so all I did was stack something on top of several bricks that were already laid.
– And that was, that’s the origin of the NFM Salute, we love it.
– Yeah, I love that. I think anyone who is, an outsider looking in could respect that and, I mean, everything that our veterans do for our country, it’s just admirable, so.
– It’s amazing.
– I love that we do that.
– Me too.
– So, I really appreciate your time today. It was great having you on the show and getting to know your background a little bit and thank you so much for watching NFM TV, we’ll see ya next time.